Monday, March 9, 2009

Stuff White People Like

* 122 Moleskine Notebooks
Guilty, used one for my journal in London
* #121 Funny or Ironic Tattoos
Totally like them, just don't have them. Two reasons I don't. Religion and fear of actually having to make a decision that I know will have lasting consequences. If I did get one I think I would get a recycling symbol on my left bicep or my back.
* #120 Taking a Year Off
I would really like to do this. I kind of did this with my study abroad, but that was only 4 months.
* #119 Sea Salt
Yum.
* #118 Ugly Sweater Parties
I've been to my share.
* #117 Political Prisoners
Not so much.
* #116 Black Music that Black People Don’t Listen to Anymore
I think I listen more to black music that black people still do listen to. I don't like Jazz, but I love me some Motown. I guess I'll count it.
* #115 Promising to Learn a New Language
I promise to do so. I need to do it to graduate from the Honors Program.
* #114 America
I like America, but not any more than the average person I think. I think England is cooler.
* #113 Halloween
I like seeing people's creative costumes. However, I never really have a good one.
* #112 Hummus
YUM YUM!
* #111 Pea Coats
Fo Sho. I want another one. One that is shorter and makes me look less "Monk-like"
* #110 Frisbee Sports
I do, but not as much as a lot of people at BYU, keeping in mind that BYU is VERY white.
* #109 The Onion
I love the Onion and so does my mom. Fake news is hilarious and better than real news.
* #108 Appearing to Enjoy Classical Music
I really only like a few select pieces, but I have a lot on my i-tunes because it's nice to study to.
* #107 Self Aware Hip Hop References
Yes.
* #106 Facebook
I do have updates sent to my phone...
* #105 Unpaid Internships
Paid would be nice, but I would love to name drop an organization that I interned for.
* #104 Girls with Bangs
It's true! I like harsh bangs a lot. However, not everyone can pull it off.
* #103 Sweaters
I like sweaters. Silly ones, nice ones, ones with ice cream cones on them...
* #102 Children’s Games as Adults
YES! I just love games.
* #101 Being Offended
I don't get offended that often, but when I do I talk a lot about the situation and try to get validation from others that I am right in being offended or my claims are correct.
* #100 Bumper Stickers
I love getting them, but I never put them on. Again, I don't like making decisions that actually matter in the future.
* #99 Grammar
I don't always have the best grammar, but I notice it big time when a sign or article or anything more formal than an email is written incorrectly. I constantly worry about how I might come off as if my grammar is really bad.
* #98 The Ivy League
I often mention that I have a friend at "said Ivy League School" whenever they come up. I'm jealous.
* #97 Scarves
I like them, but I have difficulty pulling them off. Maybe I'll try tomorrow.
* #96 New Balance Shoes
Guilty. But they were on sale!
* #95 Rugby
I wish I could play or know the rules, but I just wear a rugby shirt instead. It makes me look really tough and matches well with the scar above my eye. One Halloween I was a rugby player.
* #94 Free Healthcare
I wish there was an easy way for this to happen. I hate the health insurance business.
* #93 Music Piracy
I used to be big into Napster, then I was big into Kazaa (spelling?), now I am legit.
* #92 Book Deals
Sometimes I will buy a book just because it is on sale. I think it makes me feel smart when I buy books, but I don't do it that much because I don't read that much and books are expensive man! I guess that might be what libraries are for...
* #91 San Francisco
I really want to go there. Maybe this summer I will.
* #90 Dinner Parties
YES! I love food. I think I am a pretty good cook and like to cook for other people.
* #89 St. Patrick’s Day
I love the color green. Pinching people is a funny idea, but I never do.
* #88 Having Gay Friends
Yup.
* #87 Outdoor Performance Clothes
Not so much, too expensive most of the time.
* #86 Shorts
I like shorts a lot. I get hot easily and would much rather be cold than hot. Shorts are nice for that. I also have several plaid pairs of shorts and people compliment me on them often.
* #85 The Wire
Never seen it, so...nope.
* #84 T-Shirts
I looooooooove t-shirts. I spend several hours a week on www.threadless.com. If a t-shirt is unique, funny, or just cheap, I will likely buy it.
* #83 Bad Memories of High School
I generally liked High School, but I don't like how most High School friends are just that, friends you had in High School.
* #82 Hating Corporations
I like unique and personal things, corporations are not quite those things.
* #81 Graduate School
Yay, higher education!
* #80 The Idea of Soccer
Yup, don't really watch it that much. It seems like soccer is a bigger part of my life than it really is. I like playing basketball more. It's less frustrating and one mistake isn't going to make that big of a difference.
* #79 Modern Furniture
It is so true.
* #78 Multilingual Children
Yeah! I'm gonna teach my kids the language I promise myself to learn, which is not yet determined.
* #77 Musical Comedy
Haha, sure.
* #76 Bottles of Water
Especially Nalgene water bottles. I feel complete when I am carrying a water bottle in the side of my backpack. I like the way it swishes.
* #75 Threatening to Move to Canada
Canada sounds nice. Free healthcare, Degrassi, etc. America is too violent, political, powerful sometimes.
* #74 Oscar Parties
I like to make oscar picks and be more successful at it than someone else that I am watching the show with is.
* #73 Gentrification
I would love to fix up a house in a cool neighborhood. However, that takes effort, but if I could just buy it and someone could fix it up, I would be so down.
* #72 Study Abroad
Done-Fall 2007
* #71 Being the only white person around
Gonna hafta say no. I'm almost neve the only white person around.
* #70 Difficult Breakups
I think I don't usually let my relationships get deep enough that a breakup is that hard, but when I have I learn a lot about myself from breaking up. So in a weird way, I do like difficult breakups, even though they suck.
* #69 Mos Def
Indifferent to him.
* #68 Michel Gondry
I really liked Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and I like the video for "Fell in Love With a Gril" and I like Bjork videos, so yes I like Michel Gondry
* #67 Standing Still at Concerts
No way, I like to dance and/or mosh.
* #66 Divorce
Who likes divorce?
* #65 Co-Ed Sports
Who doesn't?
* #64 Recycling
Duh. I'm from Oregon.
* #63 Expensive Sandwiches
I love food. Often time, price isn't a big factor. This is one situation when my frugality is thrown out the window.
* #62 Knowing What’s Best for Poor People
I tend to make generalizations about poor people and form opinions (even if they are sterotypical) based on epidemiological data and other statistics, but I rarely, if ever, vocalize them, but I realize that they are often stereotypes and seem wrong to say.
* #61 Bicycles
Again, I'm from Oregon, duh.
* #60 Toyota Prius
I do like Toyotas, but I haven't ever really been car shopping so I am pretty undecided on this one.
* #59 Natural Medicine
I like all types of medicine. Natural medicine is very intriging though.
* #58 Japan
I really want to go to Japan and see the Godzilla in the zoo and eat mounds of sushi and giggle like a school girl and then incorporate other stereotypes like going on a Japanese game show and stuff. I think Japanese stereotypes are some of the best stereotypes, good food, good entertainment, etc. I guess those are just the stereotypes that I choose to hold. Regardless, I want to go to Japan.
* #57 Juno
I loved this movie. Its so quirky and has an awesome soundtrack.
* #56 Lawyers
I like that some lawyers have the potential to do a lot of good, and I recognize that many are smart and very analytical, but there is something that make me hate lawyers sometimes. Lately, I have been watching a good amount of Law and Order so yeah, I guess I like lawyers. Plus, several extended family members are lawyers and its not good to hate your family, right?
* #55 Apologies
I feel like I need to apologize for a lot of things. I am sure some I don't need to. I feel guilty about how I came off to someone a lot. The funny thing is I often convince myself eventually that I don't need to apologize, so if there is not an easy or early opportunity to do so, I likely wont.
* #54 Kitchen Gadgets
YES! I love food and cool, weird ideas. I want a magic bullet.
* #53 Dogs
Oh yes! Especially puppies. I read this blog with pictures of puppies for quite a while one time. Another time I watched a live feed of these puppies for several days.
* #52 Sarah Silverman
She is so funny and so politically incorrect! "When life gives you AIDS, make lemonAIDS." :)
* #51 Living by the Water
Mostly for views, I really like views.
* #50 Irony
Almost daily I say "And the ironic thing is..."
* #49 Vintage
I do have a soft spot in my heart for thriftshops. I wish I had my vintage leather jacket still...
* #48 Whole Foods and Grocery Co-ops
I prefer Trader Joes to Whole Foods, but same difference. I do love Costco though. Who doesn't? I want a muffin, pizza, and free samples now.
* #47 Arts Degrees
Me=Philosophy Minor
* #46 The Sunday New York Times
Nope.
* #45 Asian Fusion Food
I love food. I especially love Asian Food.
* #44 Public Radio
Mostly in the summer, but yes.
* #43 Plays
Yeah, especially if it is an obscure play and I really like it. Then I tell everyone and tell my mom to tell everyone.
* #42 Sushi
Duh. So good. I want some shrimp tempura rolls with ginger now. There needs to be a 24 hour sushi place. I would frequent such a place, especailly if it was an an asian fusion place.
* #41 Indie Music
Yes please. www.pitchfork.com
* #40 Apple Products
I am writing this on my Mac, while my I-pod is charging and my I-tunes is playing.. If only I had an I-phone and I-TV.
* #39 Netflix
I say "that movie is in my netflix queue" at least once a week.
* #38 Arrested Development
I own all of the seasons and constantly make references when something like Burger King, "The Final Countdown," a hook for a hand, vertigo, segways, banana stands, etc. are mentioned and refer to the actors as their character names most of the time (especially Job).
* #37 Renovations
I feel very accomlished comparing an old version of something to the improved new thing.
* #36 Breakfast Places
Eggs in the City=amazing. Breakfast food is awesome.
* #35 The Daily Show/Colbert Report
Not as much recently, but generally yes. I think I got tired of them during the election coverage.
* #34 Architecture
I like architecture. I don't really get it much, but I know when I like how a building looks.
* #33 Marijuana
I love the smell of marijuana, but I have never smoked it and don't plan to.
* #32 Vegan/Vegetarianism
I was a vegitarian once for 5 or so months. It was hard. I still like to eat vegan/vegitarian versions of food and go to vegan restaraunts. There are a lot of them in Portland.
* #31 Snowboarding
I do snowboard, but not as much as I would like to.
* #30 Wrigley Field
I don't like baseball.
* #29 80s Night
I love 80's music, style, drugs (just kidding). I was made in the 80's.
* #28 Not having a TV
It is really nice having a TV. You get a lot done. However, I like watching mindless shows too.
* #27 Marathons
I would really like to do a marathon sometime. It's one of my goals.
* #26 Manhattan (now Brooklyn too!)
HAHA. I always have wanted to live in Manhattan, but recently I was thinking, Brooklyn might be cool too. It seems like a better culture and more indie! haha.
* #25 David Sedaris
People have told me on several occasions that I would like David Sedaris. I am only mildly familiar with him, but I guess I like what I have read from him.
* #24 Wine
I think I would be a total wine-o if I drank wine. It seems so dignified and cool to drink wine. I have a desire to be a wine expert.
* #23 Microbreweries
I'm from Portland! The most microbreweries in the world!
* #22 Having Two Last Names
Or two first names? Like Mortimer Matthew? haha. I actually don't get it when people have two last names.
* #21 Writers Workshops
I would love to write a screenplay or just a book. If I knew how, I could. Writers workshops could help me learn how.
* #20 Being an expert on YOUR culture
This is explained at being marginally aquainted with foreign cultures. I do this a lot with food, film, and music. Therefore, MY culture is a lot more interesting. I am Dutch by the way.
* #19 Traveling
Heck yeah.
* #18 Awareness
Yup. Without awareness, how would we fix problems?
* #17 Hating their Parents
I don't hate my parents!
* #16 Gifted Children
TAG=Talented and Gifted=Me :)
* #15 Yoga
Yeah!
* #14 Having Black Friends
I have black friends.
* #13 Tea
Yum. The best is from the restaurant Merrakesh.
* #12 Non-Profit Organizations
Yes.
* #11 Asian Girls
Sure. I like asian culture, food, film, why not asian girls? Plus there might be an increased chance of sushi, yoga, or tea when around asian girls.
* #10 Wes Anderson Movies
YES!
* #9 Making you feel bad about not going outside
That kind of sounds like my mom. I like being outside, but I am not that avid at actually going outside.
* #8 Barack Obama
I like Obama. I'm not die hard Obama, but I like him.
* #7 Diversity
I especially like diversity when it comes to restaraunt choices.
* #6 Organic Food
Yum.
* #5 Farmer’s Markets
Double Yum.
* #4 Assists
I love making a good pass, whether it be in soccer or in basketball, or whatever. I think this may be because if the person who takes the shot after my awesome pass misses it, the play is still considered a good play. If I make a bad pass, there is no real chance of scoring that is defeated, so the error doesn't stick out as much as a missed shot. In other words, it minimizes risk of failure I think.
* #3 Film Festivals
Sundance!
* #2 Religions their parents don’t belong to
I am very interested in other religions.
* #1 Coffee
I love the smell of coffee. I also love coffee shops.


So all in all, only 12 of these things I don't really like or don't apply to me, but that is still over 90% that do fit.
(117, 87, 85, 71, 69, 67, 66, 46, 30, 22, 17, and 9 are the one's that don't fit.)


I am super white.

3 comments:

Dana said...

I LOVE stuff white people like. one of the best books ever. so so funny. and this post was way too long, i stopped somewhere around gay friends...i can only procrastinate so much, ya know?

Britt Linde said...

Yes, white people. Almost as good as Dutch people.

Rachel said...

HAHAHA! Degrassi! That is the only reason i would ever consider moving to canada is to live where Degrassi is filmed.