Monday, August 18, 2008

Lady GaGa

There is a mildly successful pop musician named Lady GaGa, obviously a reference to a certain Queen song, who performed on a So You Think You Can Dance results show. I was reminded of this performance and artist when I was cleaning up my DVR storage. She is very interesting to me for several reasons.

First, she can actually sing. After some brief research, I discovered that she went to music school. This is great. I think that more people in the music industry should go to music school. I think you can really tell in a lot of cases. For example, John Mayer and Adele both went to music school.

Second, she is weird! Imagine Gwen Stefani fashion/music videos on acid and you will get Lady GaGa. Actually, it would be impossible to say that Gwen Stefani isn't a major influence on GaGa. In fact, GaGa's real name is Stefani Germanotti. I think that GaGa is taking a lot of hints from Gwen Stefani's career. She has a sort of entorage-like backup dance group, similar to Gwen's Harajuku girls. By the way, aren't the Harajuku girls kind of a strange idea. All of a sudden, Gwen Stefani launches a solo career and appears with four Asian real life dolls. I think in one song she says that she dresses them and gives them names. They are not her property!

Lastly, GaGa came out of nowhere. I had never heard of her or her single "Just Dance" until her performance on So You Think You Can Dance. She also performed at the 2008 Miss Universe competition. Also, "Just Dance" is amazingly catchy. If you get "I Kissed a Girl" stuck in your head, just wait until you hear this song. GaGa must have a great producer, not to mention a great agent to book nationally televised and internationally televised gigs.

I have my doubts on GaGa's longevity, but she definately is different.

Here is the URL for the music video on YouTube.
There are parts of it that remind me of Fiona Apple's "Criminal" video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJyDsGE17mI&feature=related

Here is the URL for the So You Think You Can Dance performance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msI6GrAqANE

1 comment:

Kellee Marie Cook said...

"her name is steph.."
"oh sweet, short for stephanie?"
"no short for stefani, like gwen stefani."
Don't know if that is word for word the exact quote from baby mama but remember how funny that movie was? ANyways Lady GaGa sounds cool too, although her name sort of sounds like baby gibberish, I would know.