Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Movies

I haven't written anything in a while, so I am going to right now.

I have been somewhat busy with school kicking into gear. I can't remember if I already listed what I am taking this semester, but I will do it anyways now. I am taking Infectious Diseases, Environmental Health, Intro to Public Health, Health Behavior Change, Human Physiology, Book of Mormon, and Jogging.

Sorry to write so disjointed between paragraphs, but I am pretty sleepy. I should get more sleep.

Recently, I have reactivated my netflix account so I thought I would give some reviews on movies. First, No Country for Old Men. I thought the whole concept of this movie was brilliant. The killer was so creepy and the way he kills is interesting. Wow, how creepy did that sound...but really, it is pretty cool. I thought that the storyline developed in a mostly predictable fashion and the ending was really disappointing and anticlimactic. How often do I spell anticlimactic correctly? Not very often. Anyways, I would give No Country for Old Men four out of five stars. It really could have been a great movie with some plot twists. Instead it is just cinematic talent with a unique basis.

Next I saw Ray. There are some really good things about this movie, but some things bothered me. The whole flashback thing was very very very well done. This movie has one of the saddest scenes in any movie I have seen in one of the flashbacks. The acting was all very good, especially by Jamie Foxx. However, the film was put together in a strange idiosyncratic way. It didn't flow very well in some spots. For instance, the beginning of the movie wasn't a good place to start in my opinion. Also, there were several montage type sequences that had animated headlines flashing arrossed the screen that just made the whole movie look cheap. I know this seems kind of picky, but it was pretty distracting. I would give Ray three and a half stars out of five because it didnt have the flow of a great Bio-pic like La Vie En Rose, but there are underlying messages that are very strong and worthwhile and are portrayed through good acting.

My most recent netflix movie was There Will Be Blood. Starting off, and really through most of the movie, the film is pretty slow moving. However, now that I think about it, it completely fit the movie because it is set in the California desert, so really not that much was happening. It stayed true to the setting. However, the somewhat monotone pace of the movie is dissapated with extremely unique scenes either involving Daniel Day Lewis' character or the Preacher played by Paul Dano. Then pretty soon, it is back to the tense mundaneness. These sequences create a sort of haunting feeling and uneasiness throughout. Similarly to No Country for Old Men, the ending has some loose ends, but it is preceded by some events that make some sense of it. The one thing that makes this movie so good is Daniel Day Lewis' character's relationships with other people and how they evolve and change, especially with his son. I can't really say too much about that without spoiling, so I'll stop there. I would give There Will Be Blood a four and a half stars out of five because I realize how hard it is to make a film interesting and good without too much happening. It is realistic and human and there are a few characters that are truely memorable.

Last week I also saw House Bunny. Haha. I did not netflix this movie. Anna Farris is very funny in Just Friends and in Lost in Translation, so I figured there had to be some pretty funny parts in this movie, despite what I had heard. It turns out I was fairly correct in this assumption. There were definately about five parts that I was laughing out loud pretty hard about. However, ther rest of the movie fell pretty flat. The red headed girl that is the head of the Sorority is a pretty good actress I think, but she is not funny, just mostly awkward. Rumor Willis, Katherine McPhee and most of the other girls don't really have a chance to be funny either. However, the girl that is Nick and Norah's Infinate Playlist (which I really want to see) and the girl that plays a manly girl from Idaho are both pretty funny with one-liners. One thing that really suprised me was the amount of random people in this movie. As I mentioned Rumor Willis and Katherine McPhee were in it, but the singer for All American Rejects, the guy that was pranked on reality show The Joe Schmoe Show, Hugh Heffner and his girlfriends, and Shaq were also in the movie. Random, well except for Hugh and company. Also, Tom Hanks' son, I think his name is Collin does another movie that requires no acting. I seriously feel like I could have played his character with relative ease. With all that said, I would give House Bunny a disappointing one and three quarters stars out of five.

Well to wrap up this post I think I should make sure that you all have seen some basic youtube videos. If you haven't, find them and watch because they are today's developing pop culture.

-Chocolate Rain
-Charlie the Unicorn
-Muffins
-Shoes
-Charlie Bit Me

later gator

No comments: